Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

Post Offices and Postcards: On repeat experiences

I just did the math, and I've spent approximately 60 USD on buying and spending postcards since I've been in Poland. Sending a postcard to the US cost 3.2z. Sending one to England costs 3z. This most recent trip to the post office resulted in 28 mailed postcards. Meaning, if you don't get a postcard, I either don't care about you or it was lost in the mail. Whichever you'd prefer.


Anyway, before going, I wrote out my post office vocabulary for easy reference as I tend to freeze in real life situations. I'm not sure if it was that or the fact that it was a repeated experience (since the last time I was mailing postcards) that made it so successful.

I asked for 28 stamps, with my postcards in front of me.
She saw that they were postcards and asked if they were international.
I said yes.
She asked if they were going to Europe.
This is where I froze. I should've said. Nie. Dwiescie siedem USA. Jeden ... England (Angliki? Angleterre? Angsomethingortheother). Instead I froze. She grabbed my postcards and started going through them. Except I hadn't written "USA" on two. And two others still haven't been addressed. Another reason I should've spoken up at this point!
Alas, she finally gave me back the postcards (Priority, of course) and the required stamps (How come it's 20g more for across the Atlantic? International is international...)
Then, when she said the amount it costs... I understood her. And paid.
And it was awesome.

So, maybe it was the ability to look down at my cheat sheet when she said "international" and know what she was asking. Or maybe it was just knowing the process. (Perhaps this is why I progressively got better at ordering my large piwo w sokiem and my apple juice and vodka: repetition!)

No comments:

Post a Comment