Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Journal Four: The Weekend after Krakow and Hitting the Proverbial Language Wall

Krakow was amazing and gorgeous. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to go this past weekend. Even though the heatwave is killing me.

Perhaps it was a combination of exhaustion and frustration with other people, but the beginning of this week, I hit my wall. I feel like I'm not learning enough. I'm frustrated by that. I'm tired. I'm not even wanting to go out and explore the city. I really need to push past this feeling. We were finally assigned real homework for the first time - talking about how family and their professions. I was happy about the opportunity to try out forming sentences by myself instead of the fill-in-the-blank sentence formation we do in our workbook. When it came down to time, though, I was just completely lost. We never learned the phrase for "stay-at-home-Dad" or "actuary."

I need to reorganize and define my language goals and find a way to meet them. I'm feeling like I have so much to do - being in class from 8 am to 8 pm with only a small gap in between for exploring the city, catching up on stuff for university at home, and doing homework. Then there are the optional events at night. Things just really add up. I've even stopped going out as much at night. I'm in a real language funk, and I can't figure out how exactly to get out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment