Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Journal Two: End of the First Week

I'm still going strong with the "having fun times in Poland" and enjoying the cultural differences. I'm trying to go out and be independent. However, some of the things I'm doing are a bit harder. It's a bit difficult, and I run into language problems.

I had a failure today. I went out alone after lunch. I went to a couple bookstores, but I didn't know for sure what the books said. I think I want to pick up a children's book on Polish legends and fairytales. I then went to the tourism center. Which didn't have many brochures. You had to talk to the people for info, and I didn't really need anything. So, I bought my postcards quietly. Which was good because I broke a 50 and got more change. They're big on change here. The postcards were maybe 50-80gz, which is like 15-30 cents.

Anyway, I then found this open air market. I saw a stall that had perfumes that were name brand, and I thought maybe they'd have very cheap Yves Saint Laurent Opium. She asked me some question, and I said, "Nie Rozumiem" which translates to "I don't understand." So she repeated the question! But it didn't help, because I didn't mean that I didn't understand her question!

So, after that failure, I scampered away with my language tail between my legs. So, I braved an ice cream stand next. Where the exchange went as well as possible:


(In Polish)
Hello.
Hello.
I don't speak Polish.
Oh! Good.
Which type would you like?
Strawberry.
Ah. Strawberry.
How many scoops? One, two?
One.
That will be 2z. Thank you.
Thank you.

So, I think she said at some point that I was doing OK for not speaking Polish.

So, it was a success. I feel pretty good about that exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment