Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mardi Gras!

So, in Poland, they don't really celebrate Mardi Gras. Instead, they have "Fat Thursday." During Fat Thursday, you eat lots and lots of paczki. I managed to roll out of the apartment (where I was diligently working on important things related to my teaching, of course), in time to meet Sarah for dinner. We got Indian food. It was delicious, as Indian food usually is. Afterwards, we parted ways. I did one of those things where I got to the bus stop approximately 2 minutes after the bus was supposed to be there. Thus arose the life long problem. Do you wait a half hour for the next bus? Do you wait fifteen minutes in hopes that the bus is running late? Do you walk to the next bus stop? Do you catch the metro? Some very serious issues. While I was making up my mind, the bus pulled up - only 10 minutes late. Thus, perfectly situated for me.

I then made sure to stop by a bakery for packi. Because - hello - it's fat Thursday. And ... for the record... I had real, delicious paczki. Not the (admittedly also delicious) crazy weird non-paczki that they serve at the Dainty Maid bakery in South Bend, IN. Boom. Burned.

At this point, I have the apartment all to myself because Lola's doing crazy interviews in London. Which, went very well. Because she has been admitted to a great art history masters program (yay).

ANYWAY, the next day was pretty exciting because there was  Fulbright get together. There are new professors in Poland because (I think) the professors only stay for one semester. The new professors are super legit. There are really great people in Krakow, Wroclaw, and, of course, Warsaw. After a fairly long orientation (not that long compared to ours, which lasted 10 days...), we had obiad! It was awesome, delicious, FREE food & wine. Thanks, Fulbright!

After Fulbrighting, Sarah & I went to Charlotte for a glass of wine and some chit chat. It's been nice making more friends in Warsaw so I'm not only going out with Lola - as great as she is...

I kept things pretty low key that weekend. Friday, I found out I got a really amazing fellowship. So I spent most of my weekend drafting e-mails to professors, grad students, and admissions departments. Also, I spent quite a bit of time searching for... what else - a trivia night wherever I might be going. This is an essential component to future me keeping my sanity in grad school! So not a little thing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment