Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cara - Our Czech Friend

Thursday morning started off.... early. I rolled out of bed around 5 am to pick up my friend Cara from the nearby bus stop. Cara and I met when we were in Sofia. She's a pretty chill girl, and she decided to mosey over to Warsaw from Berlin on her school break.

After getting some sleep, Cara and I went to the hot spots of Warsaw. So, of course, we started at Charlotte for an extended and delicious lunch. Then we headed to Nowy Swiat. With a stop at Blikle for paczki we were too full to eat, we wandered down Nowy Swiat towards Plac Zamkowy. We stopped off at some essential spots - like the Plac Pilsudskiego where the tomb of the unknown soldier is and the church where Chopin's heart resides.

Cara seemed to appreciate my rather spotty history and "best of" the Old Town of Warsaw.

That night we headed to a pierogi place near Plac Konstitucji. I hadn't been there before, but it was an awesome decision.

Cara had to leave around noon on Friday, so we woke up early and went to Wilanow - where there's a palace. But we didn't go to the palace... we went to the Poster Museum. This would be awesome, right? A museum full of posters? Well... there was a special exhibit that took over the entire museum. And it was a calendar contest. And I'm not talking adorable dogs. I'm talking like - if CVS and Apple made calendars. Then some super weird high concept things. Then the occasional "naked women painted to look like they're wearing clothes" (a classic calendar...).

So, Cara was a bit disappointed, but I put her on a bus safely to the train station where she made it back to the Czech Republic.

Cara's visit was a nice way to stay occupied as I am getting a bit anxious about grad school. Just a bit anxious. I can control it. But now that I have one great offer on the table, I just want to know if I'll have others. If that makes sense?

One of the highlights of the visit was Cara's total appreciation of some of the ridiculous aspects of Polish society - aspects that I'd internalized. Such as the man who dubs over every voice on TV - as in, he is all of the women on Sex and the City, he is all of the characters on Law & Order, he is every person in almost every television program ever. It's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment