Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012

Dragon Tattoo

One of the things I love about the new Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie is that the title in Polish is an easy translation (Girl with the tattoo). I had a short break after Aniela left before Lola and I left to meet Rachel at Zlote Tarasy for a movie.

Fun facts about Polish movie theaters (I can't remember if I shared this with you after Twilight or Jane Eyre):
You have assigned seats. And people actually sit in their assigned seats.
I find this to be an illogical system which makes it harder for people to buy tickets separately or meet each other at the theater. I may be the only one who feels this way. Both Lola and Rachel were awed by my assertion that if there weren't seats together, you just ask someone to move over a seat so you can sit with your friends. Evidently that doesn't fly on the east coast. Which I think is interesting because Lola has increasingly been accidentally slamming the midwest when she's not being careful. Then she tries to backpedal like, "Oh, Well, I guess I've never been there." At least when I diss SoCal, I can say I've been there!
The previews take FOREVER. And are mostly ads. Not previews.

I guess that's only two facts. But two are better than none?

Afterwards, Rachel, Lola, and I went out for sushi. I got the eel. Yum. And we talked academic stuff. Rachel is just full of fascinating wisdom, being that much further down the academic career path than I am. And she did an interdisciplinary MA. So she has her own thoughts on that part of my future as well.

Afterwards, Lola and I waited for our bus at the bus stop when this drunk Polish guy started bothering us. He realized we spoke English and that only seemed to increase his desire to want to talk to us... in Polish. The only thing he knew in English was "My name is..." He introduced himself to us three times. I'm not sure if that's because he was drunk or because he was showing off his English skills. I began to get worried when he sat next to us on the bus, but he and his cohorts got off the bus a few stops later, much to my relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment