Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving Part 2 and Other Random Things

So, Friday began with more pie baking. Dara came over around 2, and we listened to my Christmas mix a few times while she did most of the baking, though I did shape the tofurkey. Billy came over around 6 to make some mashed potatoes. He shared some Zubrowka with us (we deserved it), and we chit chatted. I felt pretty bad for Dara who had to do so much work with very little aid.

Eventually people showed up, including my roommate, close to 7:30. We ate at 8. I met some new Polish friends who were quite lovely. One Polish girl asked us what we thought of Polish men, so I shared my future Polish husband plan.

Sara and Andrew came awfully late after drinking several bottles of wine by themselves. The highlight of the evening was when Andrew fell asleep in the locked bathroom because he'd drank so much. Classic.

So, Saturday and Sunday were pretty good teaching days. On Sunday, I taught my students about AFI top movie quotes in a hope of helping them learn American culture. So, I was explaining how a Streetcar Named Desire ("Stella, Hey! Stella!") was relevant because it's used in Over the Hedge. So then I go back to the apartment, which is blissfully (but also sadly - when I'm watching horror movies by myself) empty, and I turn on the TV only to find the Polish version of Over the Hedge. Win.

Sunday, after teaching, I went to the Christmas markets at the old town. It's pretty cool - they have hot mulled wine and lots of food and gifts. The lights are up all over old town, but I was there during the daylight, so none of the lights were on.

So, after getting myself some new gloves, I ran into Rachel near her apartment. So we talked for a while before I met Billy at Browarmia for lunch. It was delicious, and I had a really good time. Then we went down the street a bit to the Berlin festival and had some mulled wine while listening to Berlin music.

Saturday, after class, I was walking down Lucka street when I saw an army of reenactors (as in, war) walking down the road. It was something else. Trailing at the end, there were a few people dragging a cannon. I guess they were reenacting some major war, but who really knows with Poland and the amount of times its been overrun.

Last Wednesday, I went to go see Twilight with Rachel. The bus was running about 15 minutes late. So I showed up a little late. Luckily, Rachel hadn't left me yet. We got our tickets and headed to the theater. Interesting thing about movie theaters in Poland: You have to pick your seats, and they're assigned. So, Rachel and I moved to the theater, and luckily it hadn't started yet. Unluckily, that was because Polish movies start with over a half hour of advertisements. So, about 3/4 of the way through the movie, the film just stops. So after a little bit of waiting, we're told that we can move to another theater or get our money back. So Rachel and I, of course, think we're just going to move to another theater. No big deal. However, we walk in... and the movie is just beginning. So I watched Twilight twice...

Because everything took so long, I ended up having to take the night bus home for the first time. I figured it out pretty quickly. It wasn't a problem. However, it was super awesome waiting at the Dworzec for the bus to leave. Nearly all the night buses leave from this point, so at 12:30, there was this mass exodus of yellow buses. It was amazing.

You can imagine it a bit from this video. This is what it looks like where most of the buses are waiting to take off. There's a four minute video showing the take off, but it's not a very good one...

No comments:

Post a Comment