Search This Blog

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Part 1 (Walnut Pie?)

So, I love making pecan pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas and my birthday and really any holiday during which I can manage to make pecan pie reasonably or even semi-irrationally. So, it was much to my disappointment to discover that in Poland, there are : no pecans, no karo syrup, and no pie tins. I also believe there is no vanilla extract, but I have been told that this is in fact not true. There is vanilla extract somewhere.

Luckily, Dara W brought over some pie tin alternatives. So I at least had that. And in between cleaning the apartment, I made two walnut pies with some creative substitutions. (Brown sugar here is not the same as brown  sugar back home, and I didn't have molasses, so I added honey!)

My friend John invited me to his house for Thanksgiving. Lola and I were supposed to go, but then she decided she had to go to this conference. A conference she also has to be at during the Thanksgiving we're hosting on Friday at our apartment (today). So, I'm stuck doing all the last minute cleaning, helping Dara do all the cooking, and generally being alone in my hostessing. But that is for another blog post. Instead, I will focus on watching the Green Bay Packers defeat the Detroit Lions, which was a definitely enjoyable moment, even though Suh got kicked out. I love Suh, even though Joel tells me that he's been a real jerk.

John was a real sweetheart, and we had a very legitimate dinner. My walnut pie turned out really well, surprisingly. So hopefully the two I have for Fulbright Thanksgiving will be delicious as well.

The best part of John's party was that we watched football on the AFN  - Armed Forces Network. They have the most ridiculous advertisements you've ever seen in your life.


This is just one of the most ridiculous ads, but there were so many ads that were definitely targeted towards people who don't have common sense. Even the military men at the Thanksgiving were mocking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment