Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

All Saint's Day Weekend

On Friday, I went with Kristine to fulfill the rest of her wishlist. This included trekking all over the city to get a photograph of some statue/monument, eating breakfast at an expensive cafe, and going to the Copernicus Science Museum - a children's science museum. The science museum was surprisingly fun, although environments like that one (surrounded with children) make me question the sanity of people who have more than one child. I would've skipped the museum altogether, but as I was getting Kristine's ticket for her, this nice man gave us multiple entry tickets.

After stopping in Old Town for some lody and helping Kristine haggle for some souvenirs, we caught the bus back to the apartment. I then went and got my hair cut (finally) while Kristine and Lola went for pierogi and then to see Midnight in Paris - which I watched on the plane to Poland and didn't feel the need to watch again.

Saturday was another fun experience in teaching. As usual. Afterwards, I managed to catch up with Kristine and Lola before they went hashing.


After a beautiful walk in a national park north of Warsaw, we consumed beer and ended the evening at a British style pub close to Centrum. The next morning, Kristine left the country, and I went for yet another exhausting day of teaching. Making me realize that teachers really are saints. Although, I still believe professors have it better. Perhaps most of this is that I'm not used to this school system.

Monday was Halloween, but nothing much happens in Warsaw on Halloween. There were some parties at the clubs, but we stayed in. I celebrated by watching horror movies and preparing for NaNoWriMo, which began at midnight November 1.

November 1 is a national holiday. Everyone goes to Mass and then decorates the graves of their relatives. I, did not go decorate the graves of my relatives. Because I highly doubt I have relatives with graves in Warsaw. But I did make a delicious meal for myself (Look, Mom. I do too eat healthy!)


The decorations on the graves really is something that needs to be experienced, but these are some of the best photos of the whole thing.






Finally, that night, Lola and I went to see Jane Eyre in the movie theater. I was pleasantly surprised with the film. While there were obviously things that were not true to the book, the way they chose to adapt it made more sense to me than some of the other movie adaptations. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment