Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2011

Wroclaw

I haven't taken many photos yet, so I stole these from the beauty queen's facebook. This is Wroclaw, the "Venice of Poland."


Wroclaw is where we're located for our week long orientation. Wednesday was Warsaw orientation at the embassy. The American Embassy. Because I'm a big deal. That was mostly safety and insurance info. Then lunch - delicious lunch - with the Fulbrighters at the American Ambassador's house. Bomba.

Then it was off to Wroclaw. We arrived late but still managed to attend a scintillating lecture on the rocks of the Silesian region... To be fair, the professor was the most adorable Polish man. He had the mustache and the very deep crinkles around his eyes. He shook my hand when I left because I said "dziekuje" for his lecture.


When we got back, we waited (forever) to try and get our internet set up, before we went out on the town. We went to the rynek to a brewery. I wanted to try their piwo czekoladowe, but Roland (Rolly, a fly dresser, but maybe not tall enough to be FuturePolishHusband) told me it was sweet. That sounded dangerous. I like a good mocha stout, but those aren't... sweet, necessarily. I finally got my piwo z sokiem, though!

The next morning brought a long lecture about the history of Poland.


After the lecture, we had Polish language classes. They were supposed to have three divisions. Instead, they have two. So I have the option of relearning the alphabet with the absolute beginners or joining the advanced group with the heritage speakers (in which I understand maybe 20% of what's going on). I decided the challenge was better than boredom. But it's gonna be a rough time.


Between classes, I went to the market that is next to the class building.


When I got home, I had the internet. So...I checked my e-mail. I discovered that my short story (Shaken) has been selected for publication at a university's online journal. It's not the most prestigious, but it's definitely not something to shake a stick at. I answered my e-mails. Then, I did the most important thing of all... streamed The Bachelor Pad season finale. WIN.

2 comments:

  1. That market looks soooo amazing! And I'm glad you are wasting no time in finding your future polish husband. Can't waste a second!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting, how can you top wearing robes, lunch with an ambassador and getting published? Bazinga!

    ReplyDelete