Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Welcome to Poland, right?

What I did my first day back in Poland

Frankfurt seemed like a great connection spot when I booked the ticket. And while flying Lufthansa was much nicer than my last experience with LOT, the set up of Frankfurt airport was ridiculous. I landed with an hour and a half to spare. It took me an hour to go through security again (which involves this ridiculous snaking around of one terminal) to get to my terminal to get to my gate at the end of the terminal. Very exhausting after an already long day.

Everything goes fine in securing my apartment, but the internet will now be set up on Thursday instead of Monday. That's OK because I can contact my family with my cell phone, right? Wrong! My cell phone wasn't unlocked. It will still work after the people unlock it. Which will be on Tuesday.

So I went to Carrefour and bought, of all things, a hair dryer, hangers, tea, toilet paper and shampoo. Of all the things to buy, right? Except I forgot to bring bags, so I had to ask someone for them and pay separately. I didn't want to carry my toilet paper around in the open.

I went back to the apartment then, but I realized I needed to eat. So I went to the very close grocery store and bought pierogi, the makings of pb&j, pasta, and a big bottle of wine. Which resulted in yet another language misunderstanding. Evidently I had to pay for the wine separate of everything else. Imagine my surprise.

So I got back to the apartment, and started unpacking all while watching... The Big Bang Theory in Polish. BaZinga! I used my miniature universal dictionary to decipher the directions on my pierogi. We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment