Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2012

Szczecin

So, Lola and I headed to Szczecin for the weekend. Surprisingly... there isn't much to do there. But Szczecin does have some real gems. First of... 


That's right. The world's OLDEST cinema. Pretty legit, right? We saw a movie called Certifiable Copy - the Polish translation of the title is more like "Notes from Tuscany." Anyway - it was in English, Italian, and French... with Polish subtitles. However, it was better for us than trying to watch "The Skin I Live In" (Spanish with Polish subtitles) in Gdansk.

The next morning, Lola and I headed to the underground tunnels underneath the Szczecin train station. There was a WWII tour and a Communism tour. We were placed on the WWII tour. We saw a pattern that would follow the rest of our time in Szczecin. They had a German tour. They had a Polish tour. And they gave us notes on the tour in English. We did OK on the Polish tour. And I even understood most of everything they said abut phosphorescent paint.


The train station is also where the tourist route begins and ends. It's basically these red lines throughout the city that take us to the highlights of the city. Along the way, we hit some interesting museums. The modern art museum had a pretty cool special exhibit on luck and superstition. But the real highlight was the maritime museum. See below. There were real scintillating features.


That evening, we went out with Cordelia's friends. We had some real Polish hospitality. The mother of the girl whose house it was kept making sure our shot glasses are full. Then we went to a bar where there was lots of music and dancing. I miss dancing at bars. It was like the Backer all over again. Hopefully there's something awesome like that at Utah.

The next morning, Lola and I explored the Pomeranian Dukes' Castle before taking a train home. The train was the most crowded ever. There were people crushed into the hallways and the doorways. It was miserable. Then there was someone in our car who kept standing up, walking over to the window (it was really cold outside) and lowering it while standing there. Let me reinforce how exactly small the train car is and remind you that I'm in the window seat. So, I keep having to move my feet so he can stand there and make me freezing cold. Annoying. Then the train ended up taking an extra 90 minutes to get to Warsaw. I thought I was going to die. More or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment