Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Parents' Last Days in Poland

Right after arriving back in Poland, we headed to the Warsaw Uprising Museum. It was fun going to see it with my parents because they didn't need to read every single wall text and to watch every single movie unlike certain people I've taken to see the museum in the past. When you've been to a museum four or so times in the past year, it gets a bit much. So I enjoyed my trip there with my parents.


When we left the museum, we waited for the bus that would take us to Nowy Swiat. There was an old woman waiting at the bus stop. She started talking to me. So we had a very interesting conversation in Polish. At least, I think it was interesting. Perhaps she was just insulting me in Polish. Though, I suppose that would make an interesting conversation as well. I don't think she was insulting me, though. She said my Polish was good (ha). I think she also said that my dad looked very cultured. Then the bus came...

Easter Monday is actually a holiday in Poland. So nearly everything was closed. Thus, we went to Nowy Swiat after our museum experience. I took them down the street to see a bit of the shopping. We saw the Copernicus statue (of course). Because we're related to him (I hope that's actually true. How cool would that be?)


We waited for Mass to get out so we could sneak in to see the heart of Chopin - since we'd seen the rest of his body (more or less) in the Paris cemetery.


Afterwards I took them to the brewery I like for a delicious dinner out. They have a pretty awesome stout that I convinced my parents to get. Afterwards, we slowly walked towards the bus stop where we returned home. Back at the farm, we did some research about housing in Utah. It's a serious concern, after all. I do need somewhere to live...

The next morning we returned to Old Town for a lazy day of site seeing. We did the rest of the site seeing that we hadn't done when we'd popped by Old Town before. So we went into New Town (which is still very old but is newer than Old Town), saw the Barbican (the old city walls) and the like.


We also went to the Warsaw Uprising Monument that's near New Town. It's a pretty cool monument. I think it's one of my favorites in the world - perhaps behind the ever so awesome FDR monument in DC.


Mom was tickled pink by the benches that show the route of Chopin's life. They also play Chopin music. Because, of course, a bench in Poland should play the music of Chopin. It only makes sense...


We saw the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Cool fact about the tomb is that it's housed in what used to be an arcade between the two halves of Saxon Palace. This is now where Pilsudski Square exists. We ended up chasing the new guards down Pilsudski Square towards the tomb because we got there almost at the same time as them! It's perhaps one of the most boring and unelaborate changing of the guards ceremonies ever, but since we were there...


Saxon Park (behind the tomb) was looking quite gorgeous, with the fountains turned on finally after such a long winter. When the leaves come back on the trees, it will be a nice place to go relax, perhaps.


Before the day ended, we sat in Old Town and had a drink. We soaked in the ambiance of the rynek. It was a fine, slow way to end a great vacation. Mom said that she much prefers Warsaw to Paris - like Paris is New York City. It's fun to visit, but it's chaotic and stressful. Warsaw, on the other hand, was like Omaha. It's smaller and more manageable. People are friendly, and a good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment