Search This Blog

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Weirdness on Buses at Warsaw

So, buses in Poland are basically full of weird things happening. They're rarely on time when you're at the bus stop waiting. They're always on time if you're running to catch the bus.

So, this morning, I ran out of time getting ready, so I sprinted to the bus stop only for the bus to be late. There are two buses that go past this bus stop. An old man was walking his dog and sat down behind me as I waited for the 174. The 210 goes by, so I assume the old man is waiting for the 174 with me. He says something in Polish, so I tell him that I don't speak Polish. Then I lean down and pet his dog, saying "oh pretty dog" (In Polish, but it was probably grammatically inaccurate and more like "Oh. Pretty the dog."). Anyway, he tells me that his dog is 12 years old. He asks me where I'm going this morning. I tell him I'm a teacher and that I teach on Sundays. He asks me if I teach English. I tell him yes, and he tells me that someone he knows is learning English. Then he tells me that the bus is here, so I get up and start walking towards the stop. However, the old man does not come with me. He just sits at the bus stop. So I say, "goodbye." So while I had an awesome Polish interaction, I'm still not sure why the old man was there!

So, on the way home (after a long day teaching in which my office was filled with candy that looked amazing but wasn't for my consumption and my American students tried to teach my Polish cuss words), I sat at the window of the bus. I was enjoying the view. A girl gets on next to me. Her boyfriend is standing in the aisle, holding her hand while she sits next to me. He keeps gazing at her with that creepy look guys give girls when they're whipped. THEN he leans down and over. And they start making out. NEXT TO ME. On the bus. Way too close for comfort. Thus, I've decided that buses prompt strange interactions in Poland.

1 comment:

  1. HAHA THIS IS SO ACCURATE!!!!!! Always the old guys love to talk to Americans about stuff and Polish couples always make out in rando places! Oh how I miss this about Poland! <3

    ReplyDelete