Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lesson Plans

After speaking with Maggie, I learned that some Fulbrighters end up showing up to their university and receiving a list of classes they'll be teaching. This makes me nervous because I have the skills for teaching but no real experience. So, part of me hopes that I'll show up and TA. A greater part of me is hoping to show up and sink or swim, teaching my own class. In preparation, I made a quasi-syllabus of things I would teach based on an American Studies curriculum (like an intro to American Studies).

Jasper John's "Maps"

I'm super jazzed about this curriculum which includes American Religion as seen in American Gods, American excessiveness as seen in The Great Gatsby and Black Friday, the West as evidence through On the Road, etc. I have a whole slew of poems and plays and other wonderful, wonderful things. I spent three whole nights doing nothing but watching movies (including the wonderful story of the terrible tragedy - Katyn) and scanning books and books and books.

Let's just say - I hope I can teach around Halloween - because I have some great horror stories included.


No comments:

Post a Comment