Search This Blog

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Robić v. Pracować in "to Work"

Graduation came and went along with the insanity that was graduation. Returning home, I just missed the Polish language class at the Polish Home. So, I waited for the next week. But the next week  was Memorial Day. Two weeks later, I went to my first Polish language lesson at the Polish home. Which means that two weeks after returning from school, I actually buckled down and started trying to remember Polish two weeks after returning from school. (I'm shocked to realize I've only been home for three weeks. It seemed like much longer.)


I crammed Polish language lessons from Lublin, trying to remember vocabulary primarily. I wanted to remember basic conjugations, and I figured grammar could come second. Grammar is super important in Polish, but I think the important thing for me is being understood. Being understood was the problem with the little old ladies in my Polish class. They were adorable, but they had the worst accents. The teacher told me that they spent two whole days going over pronunciation. So, it was hardly a problem coming into the class seven classes in.


We performed fake conversations as practice, and it was quite an interesting example of the difference in everyone's language abilities and personalities. The real Polish language interesting event was when we started talking about working in a garden.


pracować w ogród (ogrodzie)


One of the ladies asked why we weren't using robić. This question confused me because robić is "to do," "to make," and "to work." In my head, pracować made much more sense for "to work in the garden" because in the garden, one does physical labor. Pracować appeared, to me, to be a question of labor in which one is A. getting paid or B. physically laboring. After all, you robić shopping (zakupy)! That's definitely not pracować.

No comments:

Post a Comment