Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2011

Because some of you can't seem to wait for updates

Ashley came into town this weekend. So Thursday through Monday was fun times central. On Thursday

Thursday included dinner in the old town at a sweet Jazz club. Afterwards, we went to Rachel's apartment in Old Town and lingered for a very long time.

Friday, we ate Pizza & Pierogi and went to the mall for a bit. I got a European phrasebook and some logic puzzles. We watched a movie at the apartment. Afterwards, we went to the Warsaw Film Festival. We wanted to see one film, but when we got there, it was sold out. So we decided to go to How to Boil a Frog from this Canadian person. It was interesting and environmental. It made me feel guilty about eating red meat. However, there were some serious problems. One of the solutions to fixing the world was to only have one child. While that makes sense, it is a serious limit to women's reproductive rights. And think about the abuses in China after the one child rule.


Saturday brought with it work. Unfortunately. After work, I met up with Aniela (who was in town for the day), Ashley, and Lola. Once I was able to get a hold of them, that is! They wanted to go hashing. But hashing starts at 2, and they showed up at 2:20. So... that wasn't happening. Instead, we went to the Hard Rock Cafe (kind of as a boon) and then to the International Scrabble Tournament/World Scrabble Competition/whatever it's called. Lola thought that it would be some sort of interactive thing because it was advertised everywhere. However, it was just people playing Scrabble.


After that, we went to the Warsaw Uprising Museum, which is one of the coolest places. It's a truly fascinating museum. I wanted to buy a coffee mug, but they gift shop closed before the museum did. We returned home to more movie watching and Robot Unicorn Attack. Which I'd never played before. It's wonderful. I've heard of this before but now I know why it's so popular. I cannot get this song out of my head!


On Sunday, we went to the area around the Politechnik metro stop after I got off of work. This is a super trendy seeming area with lots of restaurants. We ate Thai food for lunch and we lingered. Then Ashley and I explored this wonderful French restaurant that served these chocolate spreads with their bread. It was delicious. I tried an average creme brulee and a glass of red wine. We sat outside, which, despite the heaters, was fairly chilly. So by the time I got to the end of my red wine, it was very cold! Not at all how I like it. The people watching in this area was great. There were Italians and French and people speaking English with accents. It was wonderful. The waiter was fairly cute as well. Much win!

Work on Sunday was exhausting. The first class (8 am, mind you) brought a surprise because it was the class that I normally have at 11:30. So, I'd arrived at class early enough to write on the board what they did wrong in their papers. These papers were originally about the separation of Church and State in Poland. However, the kids who showed up at 8 this week had written about their favorite genre of literature before. So, I was telling them how they spelled Catholic wrong when they told me that they hadn't written about the subject. I took extensive notes on which class time had which group had which topic. So I was really confused. I tried to recover and finish the class. Which happened acceptably. So then I get to my 11:30 class, and I recognize maybe three of the kids in the class. So I ask them if there are a lot of new people. To which they respond that this is an entire new group! They made a second American group and NO ONE told me that my classes COMPLETELY changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment