Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Fruit Vocab

There are plenty of lists out there for learning Polish. I found one that lists the 3000 words you should know after studying Polish for a year, but I've never been very good at reading dictionaries. It seemed rather dull to me. All the listings. It gives you no basis for remembering the words the way flashcards or full sentences do. So, I opted to think of vocabulary I need that's not necessarily in the "Hi, How are you?" categories that Polish covers. The most important, I think, is food vocabulary. Otherwise, how do you know what flavors to get at the corner pastry stand.



What flavor is it?
Jaki to smak?


Apple ... Jabłko
Coconut ... Kokos
Pineapple ... Ananas
Mango ... Mango (I love an easy one!)
Papaya ... Melonowiec
Grapefruit ... Grapefruit
Orange ... Pomarańcza
Lemon ... Cytryna
Lime ... Limonka
Gooseberries ... Agrest (What are gooseberries anyway?)
Blackberries ... Jeżna
Cranberries ... Żurawina
Blueberries ... Czarna jagoda (Not to be confused with blackberries!)
Strawberry ... Truskawka (I got a lot of strawberry lody last summer because I didn't trust myself to order anything else with proper pronunciation)
Raspberries ... Maliny (Good to know for piwo z sokiem malinowym)
Nectarine ... Nektarynka
Pear ... Gruszka
Cherry ... Wiśnia
Bananas ... Bananów (Or Kiść bananów for a bunch of bananas)
Apricot ... Morela
Watermelon ... Arbuz
Avocado ... Awokado
Plum ... Śliwka
Peach ... Brzoskwinia
Sweet cherry ... Czereśnia
Bilberry ... Borówka
Currant ... Porzecza
Fig ... Figa
Date ... Daktyl
Grape ... Winogron
Kiwi ... Kiwi
Pomegranate ... Granat
Raisin ... Rodzynek


I figured I might as well post these here as I was compiling my list for my flashcards, especially since I'm unlikely to figure out a post on the ways numbers work in Polish anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment